Kuwait, 8 June 2023 – Jazeera Airways today announced the launch of its first sustainability report, “Flying Green – a Step towards Sustainable Aviation”. The report highlights Jazeera’s efforts in key Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) areas. Based on GRI guidelines, the report also outlines disclosures relevant to shareholders, customers, employees, and the communities the airline operates in.
Rohit Ramachandran, Chief Executive Officer, Jazeera Airways said “It gives me a great sense of pride to share Jazeera Airways’ first sustainability report. Jazeera employs over 1,100 individuals that help transport over 3.6 million passengers annually, across our network in the Middle East, Central & South Asia, Africa, and Europe. This makes us ethically, socially, and environmentally accountable as an organization.”
Since its inception in 2005, has marked several business milestones and today operates across 66 destinations.
Ramachandran added: “Over the years, we have earned the confidence of our stakeholders and as we continue our rapid growth, we remain highly responsible towards our people and our planet. By issuing an open and transparent report of our environmental, social and governance (ESG) performance, we intend to draw a clear map of where we are and where we want to proceed with our sustainability strategy in the future.”
Key Highlights of the Report
- With a focus on fuel-efficient operations and aircraft powered by low-carbon fuel, Jazeera Airways strives to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050.
- Jazeera operates 19 aircraft including A320neos which reduce CO2 emissions by 50%, engine noise by 50%, and increase fuel efficiency by 18%.
- Jazeera is the first Kuwaiti airline and the region’s first Low-Cost Carrier (LCC) to implement a climate compensation initiative CHOOOSE™ that helps passengers offset their carbon impact.
- With the required Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) approvals, Jazeera conducts line and light maintenance in-house, to help increase efficiency, speed, and reliability.
- The airline has an agreement with NAVBLUE for the complete package of Mission+ applications, a fully integrated platform designed to help Jazeera pilots streamline processes and operate paperless in the cockpit.
- Jazeera has a strong governance structure, committed to values and ethical business practices while managing the business and its stakeholders.
- With a goal to deliver a remarkable employee experience and increase engagement, the airline was certified as a Great Place to Work®
- As a part of Jazeera’s diversity, equity, and inclusion strategy, the airline has signed the IATA 25by2025 initiative pledging to improve the proportion of women employees to 25% in the underrepresented categories of the workforce.
- Jazeera Airways contributes to different community-focused initiatives through financial donations, donations of supplies, and in-kind assistance.
Jazeera Airways is growing steadily and remains focused on making travel accessible and affordable. The airline is committed to its core values and ESG priorities. As the journey progresses, Jazeera Airways will continue to take sustainable steps toward flying green.